Proposal to merge #ubuntu-quality and #ubuntu-bugs

Thomas Ward teward at ubuntu.com
Thu Jan 3 16:01:37 UTC 2013

On Thu, Jan 3, 2013 at 9:40 AM, Micah Gersten <micahg at ubuntu.com> wrote:
> On 01/03/2013 07:14 AM, Omer Akram wrote:
>> Hi All
>>
>> Just recently there started a discussion on Ubuntu bug squad list
>> about less people getting involved in bug triage along the discussion
>> there were a few points raised which let me to put the idea of merging
>> #ubuntu-quality and #ubuntu-bugs into one. Ultimately both have the
>> same goal that is talking about quality in Ubuntu.
>>
>> At time people testing Ubuntu ISO will raise their bugs in
>> #ubuntu-quality and discussions may take place there. People may or
>> may not be available in both channels but since I believe people do
>> talk mostly about bug reports in those channels (though
>> #ubuntu-quality do have other topics as well) but I think merging them
>> will make a few things easier one will be that there will be mostly a
>> unified place for people to talk about bugs (i know people may talk in
>> #ubuntu+1 or #ubuntu-desktop as well but those channels have their own
>> reasons for exisitance)
>>
>> Here I might not have a lot of point to argue plus I am never great
>> with words but the overall notion is that I believe that it will
>> result in a benefit for Ubuntu due to having a concentrated place to
>> talk bugs.
>>
>> Thoughts/Suggestions/Pros/Cons all welcome and appreciated
>>
>> Thanks!
>>
> I'm not sure I agree with this.  #ubuntu-bugs is specifically for bug
> triage, whereas #ubuntu-quality seems to not have a defined topic.
> Whereas I'm likely to watch #ubuntu-bugs for people who need help with
> triage, I'm not necessarily interested in most of what happens with
> image testing and the issues that arise from it.  This is not to say
> that I don't care, rather that I'm not necessarily going to commit my
> time to such issues.
> You could in theory condense #ubuntu-devel, -desktop, and -release into
> quality as well as the goal is quality, but I don't see that as being
> productive.
> Thanks,
> Micah

I am in full agreement with Micah, what #ubuntu-quality does is ISO
testing and other ISO/image related testing, and not necessarily bug
triage.  I lurk in both #ubuntu-bugs and #ubuntu-quality.  The
channels have separate goals.  And in #ubuntu-bugs, I'm also more than
happy to help out with bug triaging, but I don't want to see ISO
testing bugs and related stuff in #ubuntu-bugs either.

Since not everyone's responding to both the BugSquad and
ubuntu-quality lists, I've sent this response to both.

------
Thomas
Ubuntu BugSquad Member