Low bug triage activity all around

Pedro Villavicencio Garrido pvillavi at gmail.com
Thu Jan 3 12:18:57 UTC 2013

Hello folks,

2013/1/3 Walter Garcia-Fontes <walter.garcia at upf.edu>:
> * Omer Akram, om26er at ubuntu.com [02/01/13 12:35]:
>> For that case I think someone should step in from our community. Anyone
>> willing to lead the effort of creating a stronger community around bug
>> management in Ubuntu? I will surely help where I can.
>>

> I'm one of the lurkers, and it is true that without the "bug days" and
> similar initiatives it is harder for people like me to contribute. I
> can only step in occasionally when my other activities go down, but
> with those initiatives I could do quite a lot of work, I remember once
> closing around 80 bugs in little more than one hour on update-manager
> after a suggestion by Brian Murray. Instead when I open Launchpad
> directly and browse bugs I only manage to deal with very few bugs.
>
> Another thing holding me back is that apport is not working for me in
> my two main systems, my desktop and my laptop. When I hit a bug myself
> I do quite a lot of triage finding duplicates, miss-files bugs, and
> such.
>
> Something that in my case has also created confusion is, if I explain
> it right, the division between QA and other groups in the bug team, I
> never got how things work after that initiative that I believe
> happened some months ago.
>
> In my opinion mentoring is not very useful, the more useful thing is
> somebody suggesting targeted bug triage trough a weekly wiki page, the
> way Pedro or Brian were doing at some time, where one can access the
> bugs just by a click, plus friendly assistance at the IRC channel,
> when in doubt, which I believe is still available but without the
> other initiatives is less useful.

Mentoring didn't work that well, we had some good students that's
true, but (in my experience) they were the minimum (1 out of 10). So i
agree with most of the opinions on this matter, maybe the mentoring
program wasn't the better for the quantity and the kind of work we do
in the team. It seems though that helping out in the channel works a
lot better, so instead i think we should be more responsive when
someone ask something about a bug in the #ubuntu-bugs .

Bug days were a great way to get people to work on a set of bugs
together, learn about the product and talk to the developers. If we
could revive this initiative that'd be amazing, since I've organized
most of them  I'm totally available to start with at least the first
couple of bug days and to teach how to set up the page, grab the bugs,
etc.

The BugSquad is still there, lets set up the alarm clock and wake them up!

Happy new year everyone,

pedro.