Low bug triage activity all around

Walter Garcia-Fontes walter.garcia at upf.edu
Thu Jan 3 10:18:27 UTC 2013

* Omer Akram, om26er at ubuntu.com [02/01/13 12:35]:
> For that case I think someone should step in from our community. Anyone
> willing to lead the effort of creating a stronger community around bug
> management in Ubuntu? I will surely help where I can.

I'm one of the lurkers, and it is true that without the "bug days" and
similar initiatives it is harder for people like me to contribute. I
can only step in occasionally when my other activities go down, but
with those initiatives I could do quite a lot of work, I remember once
closing around 80 bugs in little more than one hour on update-manager
after a suggestion by Brian Murray. Instead when I open Launchpad
directly and browse bugs I only manage to deal with very few bugs.

Another thing holding me back is that apport is not working for me in
my two main systems, my desktop and my laptop. When I hit a bug myself
I do quite a lot of triage finding duplicates, miss-files bugs, and
such.

Something that in my case has also created confusion is, if I explain
it right, the division between QA and other groups in the bug team, I
never got how things work after that initiative that I believe
happened some months ago.

In my opinion mentoring is not very useful, the more useful thing is
somebody suggesting targeted bug triage trough a weekly wiki page, the
way Pedro or Brian were doing at some time, where one can access the
bugs just by a click, plus friendly assistance at the IRC channel,
when in doubt, which I believe is still available but without the
other initiatives is less useful.

--
Walter Garcia-Fontes