Low bug triage activity all around

Omer Akram om26er at ubuntu.com
Tue Jan 1 18:04:53 UTC 2013

On Tue, Jan 1, 2013 at 10:46 PM, Dr. David Alan Gilbert
<ubuntu at treblig.org>wrote:

> * Omer Akram (om26er at ubuntu.com) wrote:
> > Hey all,
> >
> > I have been involved in bug triage for a while in Ubuntu and it seems
> this
> > scene is not that active it used to be although alot of great folks from
> > our community are highly devoted.
> >
> > I am not sure about the reason behind that but one thing I am sure is
> that
> > previously we had running efforts like "Bug Days" where a certain package
> > was selected and all of the Ubuntu Bug Squad was invited to participate
> in
> > triaging those bugs.
> >
> > Another reason which could be related is that now there is no one in the
> > Ubuntu desktop team (or Canonical) to lead the effort of Bug management
> and
> > community involvement previously Pedro played a big role there.
> >
> > So I think we need to think of some ways to improve the situation and get
> > more people involved into this effort. Does anyone have
> > suggestions/comments about this matter.
>
> Most of the irc seems to have been pretty dead over xmas, I'm guessing
> there aren't many of us doing it just for the heck of it at the moment.
> There is also the danger that perhaps some of the others got a life
> and we aren't getting new ones in.

That may be a factor but I have seen closely no activity in #ubuntu-bugs
for a while which is not good

> I've been trying to fix things like universe packages that seg at startup;
> but with Debian in freeze it's nigh on impossible to get any fix into
> debian
> unless it also breaks Debian which for a lot of our Fortify triggered
> bugs they don't; and for a non-debian dev it's also hard going.
>
> There are also a heck of a lot of unreviewed patches in the system; so
> perhaps
> it's time for another round of patch triaging.
>
> </snip>

> I don't know what the numbers are, but I think the lack of an 'alpha'
> for Raring (as opposed to the dailies) makes me think there are less people
> trying it; there certainly doesn't seem to be much activity on +1.

I am not currently affected by this but maybe a bit more time at this will
produce better result.

> I'm also seeing signs there are a few of the regulars who've tried
> Raring on their machine and find it's failed very early on in the kernel
> and haven't been able to find a working solution to carry on, and have
> just gone and ignored it for the moment.

then I am lucky raring works just fine for me just few glitches here and
there but thats expected at this stage i guess.

> One thing I am starting to do is pick a random point in the bug list
> rather than starting at either end; just adding a 1000 or another
> random number to the bug list and instead of next/last just add a few
> more - lots of people look at the latest bugs; but there are a few
> year old untriaged bugs that are still broken on Raring; it just
> takes someone to spot them and try them - if the description
> in the bug is a seg-at-startup then I tend to try it myself
> rather than asking the user to reverify, since the user has probably
> moved on.

Yeah, I has been disucussed in the past that people don't know which bugs
to start with, the above problem sounds related.

> Dave
> --
>  -----Open up your eyes, open up your mind, open up your code -------
> / Dr. David Alan Gilbert    |       Running GNU/Linux       | Happy  \
> \ gro.gilbert @ treblig.org |                               | In Hex /

Thanks