Bug Squad and a lot of asks to update BIOS

Brian Murray brian at ubuntu.com
Mon Aug 19 17:04:45 UTC 2013

On Mon, Aug 19, 2013 at 05:41:28AM +0100, Phil Wyett wrote:
> On Mon, 2013-08-12 at 11:51 -0700, Brian Murray wrote:

> > > Dangerous I agree and often a point of fear with users. It would be nice
> > > if people doing this on bug reports could add a note.
> > >
> > > "Please do not feel pressured or required to perform the suggested BIOS
> > > update yourself if you are not comfortable with doing so. You may wish
> > > to consult a local I.T. professional, who can advise and possibly
> > > perform such an update for you in exchange for a fee."
> > >
> > > Or something like that... :-)
> >
> > That sounds like a good suggestion to me, what packages / bugs have seen
> > the comments to update your BIOS on?
> >
> > Thanks!
> > --
> > Brian Murray
>
> There are so many instances it would be hard to name 1. My email for the
> 'ubuntu-bugs' list goes back to 2013-07-28 and there are > 300 instances
> of BIOS update requests to users if I do a search for the string "update
> is available for your BIOS".

The point of my question was to try and find out which team is
requesting that users update their BIOS so that you can communicate your
idea to them.

bdmurray at bizarro:/mnt/storage/mailing-lists/ubuntu-bugs$ mboxgrep -B
"update is available for your BIOS" 2013-08 | grep X-Launchpad-Bug: |
grep sourcepackage | grep "sourcepackage=linux" | wc -l
206

bdmurray at bizarro:/mnt/storage/mailing-lists/ubuntu-bugs$ mboxgrep -B
"update is available for your BIOS" 2013-08 | grep X-Launchpad-Bug: |
grep sourcepackage | grep -v "sourcepackage=linux" | wc -l
7

Just looking at the ubuntu-bugs mailing list archive for 2013-08 it
looks like these requests are overwhelmingly about the linux package, so
the kernel team or probably Joe Salisbury is the right person to whom to
speak.

--
Brian Murray
Ubuntu Bug Master