Bug Squad and a lot of asks to update BIOS

Phil Wyett one.ukit at gmail.com
Sun Aug 11 05:37:10 UTC 2013

On Sat, 2013-08-10 at 11:56 +0100, Dr. David Alan Gilbert wrote:
> * Phil Wyett (one.ukit at gmail.com) wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > Is it now policy with certain bugs, for the user to be asked to update
> > their BIOS? It seems to happening a heck of a lot these days. With the
> > inherent danger of BIOS updates and that Ubuntu (Linux for Human Beings)
> > has users that are not that technically minded or would shy away from
> > such an update - Should it being happening so often?
>
> Yeh I've had a few of those - and I agree it's dangerous.
> There are bugs that might very well be fixed by a new BIOS,
> but it does need some careful consideration.
>
> Dave

Dangerous I agree and often a point of fear with users. It would be nice
if people doing this on bug reports could add a note.

"Please do not feel pressured or required to perform the suggested BIOS
update yourself if you are not comfortable with doing so. You may wish
to consult a local I.T. professional, who can advise and possibly
perform such an update for you in exchange for a fee."

Or something like that... :-)

Regards

Phil