An invalidated bug. Should it have really been invalidated?

Phil Wyett one.ukit at gmail.com
Sun Aug 11 05:13:09 UTC 2013

On Sat, 2013-08-10 at 14:23 -0400, Chris Johnston wrote:
> I'm not going to comment on keeping the bug opened or closed, however
> I will point out:

> "Many Linux package, hardware, and other non-user space bugs are
> hardware dependent on both the hardware itself, and what other
> hardware the problematic hardware is connected to. The rule of thumb
> is one report, per person, per hardware combination, per bug. For more
> on this please see here, and further below in this article. As well,
> please do not post comments to another person's report, claiming you
> have the same problem, because you have the same hardware, or same
> computer model. Instead, please file a separate report, and make
> comments there. This is because no one can verify if you would have
> the same problem or not, because your hardware can not be analyzed. "

> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/ReportingBugs#Bug_reporting_etiquette

Hi,

I have read the whole document now after not reading it for a few years.
It seems many changes and caveats have been introduced and now we have
many flaws in the whole bug reporting process. What should be a simple
process for new/inexperienced users (not me as a dev), has actually
turned into a spiders web of iffy software and processes to perform the
overall task with the addition of many 'do nots' introduced by
contributors.

Is there anyway the bug squad can hold a review in conjunction with the
quality people and look at the whole process once more? As one example
to why. If the whole notion of one bug per person per hardware combo and
no posting to others reports is the way to go. We should really be using
the duplication method on launchpad and the " This bug affects 'x'
people. Does this bug affect you? Edit" with this affecting bug heat is
essentially redundant.

Regards

Phil