Simple Scan triaging

David Tombs cyan.spam at gmail.com
Wed Nov 30 00:33:17 UTC 2011

On 11/29/2011 06:15 PM, Michael Nagel wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> I am writing to this list because I would like to hear your opinion regarding the following problem:
>
> I am triaging the bugs filed against the simple-scan package and the Simple Scan project itself. There are a lot of bug reports like [1] (randomly picked that one) where the hardware is not supported properly. Either it is not supported at all, or some features (ADF, ...) are missing. These bug reports do not bring forward the development of Simple Scan, but on the contrary clog the bug lists and slow down development progress. Keeping them is thus not worthwile in my opinion. (Note: In general I think not all bug reports should be accepted/kept. I prefer a deliberate decision with explicit downsides/compromises to the implicit decision to do nothing and avoid all downsides -- you do not get upsides that way, either.)
>
> Different stakeholders are involved in these bug, namely the original reporter, the Simple Scan developers, the developers of SANE / other involved software, and other users owning the same hardware. Keeping these reports open helps none of them and harms some of them. The following approach would be much better for everyone in my opinion:
>
> 1) closing such bugs in a timely manner
> 2) pointing to a wiki where general tips about scanners can be much better maintained. might be an adapted version of [2]
> 3) structured information about what hardware works with what settings should be kept in a database (in the weak meaning of the word, might e.g. be another wiki page). might just be [3]
>
> - The original reporter benefits from 1) because he no longer is ignored for some years. The reporter hopefully benefits from 2+3) as there is the chance (s)he gets the scanner to work.
> - The Simple Scan developers benefit from happy users and from more helpful bug lists, letting them concentrate on the real issues in Simple Scan.
> - SANE / other developers benefit from 3) because they get much more concise and structured information. See the following section about forwarding bugs.
> - Other hardware owners profit from the database as well, because they can easily find out what hardware can be recommended to buy (use case 1) and what can be expected from a given piece of hardware (use case 2a) and how to get the most out of a given piece of hardware (use case 2b).
>
> About forwarding such bug reports to e.g. sane-backends: I think it is monkey business, like some European countries moving around atomic waste that nobody wants but that does not vanish. It would just create the same situation we have with simple-scan now for sane-backends in some time. Someone has to accept responsibility, make the though decision (see above) and "solve" the issue.

> [...]

Hi Michael,

I am not an expert triager, but I do agree with a lot of your points.
Good thinking.

For a small improvement, adding an "unsupported hardware" message to the
canned responses[1] (and Firefox extension) would certainly save some
time. Ideally, however, this canned response would be accompanied by a
standard triaging practice for unsupported hardware bugs but I am not
sure if that exists.

Thanks for the email,
David