[Ubuntu Wiki] Update of "Bugs/Tags" by vish

Vishnoo vish at ubuntu.com
Sat Jun 4 07:25:07 UTC 2011

On Fri, 2011-06-03 at 12:06 -0700, Brian Murray wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 03, 2011 at 05:28:51PM -0000, Ubuntu Wiki  wrote:
> > Dear Wiki user,
> >
> > You have subscribed to a wiki page or wiki category on "Ubuntu Wiki" for change notification.
> >
> > The following page has been changed by vish:
> > http://wiki.ubuntu.com/Bugs/Tags?action=diff&rev1=177&rev2=178
> >
> > The comment on the change is:
> > Cheese apport tags , for more info see its /debian/source_cheese.py
> > + === Cheese Specific ===
> > + Tags Apport adds while collecting information for Cheese Webcam Booth.
> > + ||<rowbgcolor="#FFEBBB"> '''Tag''' || '''Use case''' ||
> > + || [[https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+bugs?field.tag=gstreamer-error|`gstreamer-error`]] || Bug is related to bad drivers and not Cheese; ''Switch bug to related package(`linux` for missing/bad drivers)''||
>
> If these are linux bugs wouldn't the better thing be updating the apport
> package hook for cheese so that the bugs were filed about linux instead?
>
> --
> Brian Murray
> Ubuntu Bug Master

That was precisely my idea too :-) ,
but I could not find anyone with time to spare to write a hook which
works like that.
Mitch did excellent work on the apport hook and said he might look into
it again if he had time. (But I havent seen him around for a while.)

(A little info about this tagging)
Such bugs were a huge problem when I was cleaning up a backlog of
unattended Cheese bugs. A lot of the kernel driver bugs were just
reported as "Cheese does not detect my webcam" or "Cheese displays image
wrong" when gstreamer input would have the same problem.
I had to ask reporters to launch the gstreamer stream either via
terminal or via the multimedia selector and then triage accordingly.

What I do with such bugs is set them to "Incomplete" and ask reporters
to apport-collect for the Linux package.
Ideally this could be done by apport itself; Once apport detects it is a
driver error, collect for linux kernel and file the bug in the kernel.

Would be awesome if someone could fix the hook to file the bug in the
right place.
Any takers? :-)

--
Cheers,