Old bug reports

Brian Murray brian at ubuntu.com
Wed Aug 24 20:04:14 UTC 2011

On Wed, Aug 24, 2011 at 09:37:21AM +0100, Timothy Mayoh wrote:
> Sorry - I probably should have been more specific about marking bugs invalid
> immediately; I was referring to when the bug really didn't have anywhere
> enough information to work on it and no-one actually could reproduce it
> other than the reporter or whoever claims that it affects them, and only if
> they are all impossible to contact (as is already eventually done when there
> is no more activity on an incomplete bug for more than 60 days anyway).

I would hope that in these cases the bug task would be Incomplete and
that it would subsequently automatically transition to the Expired
status.  I'd be interested in seeing specific examples where this is not
the case.

> If the bug is already confirmed or triaged and can be reproduced in newer,
> supported releases or the development release by other people, then I agree
> it makes no sense to ask the original reporter to test to see if it exists
> in a newer release just for the sake of it, if his/her version is still
> within support.
>
> Although to this day I see many people reporting bugs with unsupported
> versions of Ubuntu who simply don't realise there is a newer version
> available or haven't upgraded for whatever reason who could do with a little
> push to switch to a current version, for their own benefit; for example I
> believe that to be the case with these bug reports:
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+bug/827638
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+bug/827000

These are rather fascinating.  I wonder if there should be an SRU done for
apport for releases as they reach EOL that prevents bug reporting.  This
would also make sense for apport-package bug reports that get reported
automatically.

Your response here makes sense but I'd clarify the fact that you can't
really upgrade directly from 9.10 to 11.04.  Furthermore, I'd point out
where one can obtain the appropriate isos for upgrading.

--
Brian Murray
Ubuntu Bug Master