Workarounds for bugs

Brian Murray brian at ubuntu.com
Mon Aug 8 17:54:19 UTC 2011

Providing a workaround[1] in a bug description is a way to help users
accomplish a task until a fix for the bug is provided in Ubuntu.  These
should be identified as "WORKAROUND" in the bug description as
documented in http://wiki.ubuntu.com/Bugs/Description.  Additionally,
it would be useful if these were tagged 'workaround' so that we can use
Launchpad's search features to find them.

A wonderful thing about Ubuntu is the plethora of software and the
variety of different ways to accomplish the same task.  However, a
workaround should not require one to use a different piece of software
than the one they were trying to use or installing different software.
For example, in http://launchpad.net/bugs/817626 I was trying to view a
pdf at a notebook manufacturer's web site.  I was unable to view the
pages of the pdf using evince however Pedro mentioned to me that he
could view using them Acrobat Reader.  This would not qualify as a
workaround for our purposes as it is a totally different piece of
software.

[1] http://www.answers.com/main/ntquery?gwp=13&s=workaround

Thanks,
--