Additional "status" option

RedSingularity RedSingularity at gmx.com
Thu Apr 14 22:50:11 UTC 2011

Hey everyone.  While working a bug recently I thought to myself, Why not
have a status item that lets people know that a triager is working on
the bug.  I know when I am looking for bugs to triage I always look for
the "New" mark.  That, to me, means that no one has started to triage it
yet and thats a sign that I can go ahead and have a look at it.  I know
we have a "In Progress" option but I think thats more for developer use
if I am correct.  As of now when working a bug I use the "Incomplete"
sign to show that it is being triaged by someone (me).  I think this
"Incomplete" mark may aggravate new reporters though, and is incorrect
in some cases.  For example, many times the reporter has given all the
required info, and I am in the process of triaging it.  As you can see
the "Incomplete" mark, in this case, seems invalid since the report is
actually complete.

I guess to end my rant and sum up, I think a mark along the lines of
"Work in Progress" in the status area would be helpful to triagers, and
a "reassuring" mark for new users reporting bugs.  This way triagers
will know that the bug is being handled by someone and the end user
feels better that the bug is indeed being worked on instead of being
"Incomplete".

Thanks for considering,

--Tim (RedSingularity)