launchpad +filebug redirect

David Tombs cyan.spam at gmail.com
Mon Sep 6 22:04:38 BST 2010

On 09/01/2010 03:00 PM, Philip Muskovac wrote:
> On 09/01/2010 08:59 PM, Philip Muskovac wrote:
>> On 09/01/2010 08:10 PM, Charlie Kravetz wrote:

>>> So, even though we already have the link, and people don't bother
>>> reading, you suggest another wiki page to further complicate their
>>> desire to file bad bugs? We already tell them the recommended way to
>>> file the bug, if they ignore that, why make it easier to ignore?
>>>

>> The link at the top was added recently:
>> 140  	2010-08-07 10:57:04  	11547  	 	oCean_  	Mention the no-redirect
>> url at top
>> from the launchpad page oCean_ seems to be a new user, does anyone know
>> him? I don't like the link being at the top either.
>>
>> Also, as I already wrote: the reporting guidelines at the +filebug page
>> originally only required the user to add the application package if
>> possible, the app version and the ubuntu release they're running. Many
>> happily ignored that, so why do you think they would actually stop
>> filing the bug there and click themselves through like a dozen windows
>> for a kernel report? I seriously doubt they would do that.
>>
>> As for needs-packaging. The official documentation for that [1] has a
>> link that uses ?no-redirect and adds the tag to the bug. Why don't
>> people use that? You can file bugs with gpg signed mails too btw which
>> would be another easy way to file those IMO.
>>

> Actually add the reference -.-
>
> [1] https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuDevelopment/NewPackages

Well, I did not mean to start such a big discussion here; I don't think
the problem is /that/ bad, so I don't think it needs a complex solution. :)

To clarify my problem statement, the Reporting Bugs howto just has too
much header material. You have:

1) Some BOLD text which catches your eye, possibly unrelated to the
reason you came to the page.
2) A redundant "Reporting bugs" header, which further emphasizes the
awkwardness of the bold text.
3) A reasonable intro.
4) Note 1 -- more distraction.
5) Note 2 -- and more distraction.

This is just not user-friendly. A smattering of notes and distractions
just obfuscates the real information on the page and makes it less
useful. Perhaps you don't agree with me, but in both my personal and
professional life I have found this to be true.

If changing launchpad would be too hard, the idea of an alternative
redirect page makes a lot of sense to me. How about the following content:

-------
Since you've ended up on this page, you were probably trying to file a
bug about Ubuntu in Launchpad. Although filing directly on Launchpad
used to be an acceptable method of reporting a bug, using tools built-in
to your Ubuntu system is now recommended. Please see
[[https://help.ubuntu.com/community/ReportingBugs|Reporting Bugs]] for
instructions.

Thank you for your cooperation.
-------

Disagreements welcome, but please explain why this idea would be
inferior to the status quo. Thanks!

Regards,
David