Ubuntu 10.10 bug w AC97 sound card

johnstark johnstark at earthlink.net
Tue Nov 9 22:15:42 GMT 2010

Hello list,

 I Just yesterday took the plunge into Linux and Unbuntu. I loaded up 10.10 on my computer and managed to "make" the programs I needed but find an issue with the AC97 sound card. All day and most of the night and day today I tried all the tips and nothing. It seems 10.10 isn't playing nicely with this program :( The program is DSD1.4.1 found here: http://wiki.radioreference.com/index.php/DSD - actually it is links to the two required files under DOWNLOAD. The mbelib-1.2.3-src.tar needs to be worked first as DSD requires this to operate. I got it all done, did the "make" and when I try to run it I get the following:

Disigital Speech Decoder 1.4.1
mbelib version 1.2.3
ioctl reset error
ioctl speed error
ioctl stereo error
ioctl setfmt eror
Audio In/Out Device: /dev/audio

I learned today from another user that the two prio versions of Unbuntu work but that 10.10 doesn't. As I said I tried all the tips on both sites but no luck. My internet connection is too slow to DL anything as large as this (17 hours) so I am a bit stuck! The other user also had the exact same issue using 10.10, and the sound still works, just not using the program DSD.... very odd. Hoping someone here can figure out whats going and maybe a fix for it.
 Thank you in advance!
 John