Bug with Coredump.gz made public?

Sense Hofstede qense at ubuntu.com
Sun May 30 10:11:59 BST 2010

On 30 May 2010 10:54, Ivan Ivanić <ivan at efekat.com> wrote:
> On 05/30/2010 09:59 AM, Sense Hofstede wrote:
>> On 30 May 2010 08:24, Ivan Ivanić <ivan at efekat.com> wrote:
>>
>>> I am new to this and as I understood "Never mark a bug containing a
>>> Coredump.gz attachment as public." this bug:
>>> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/ibus-chewing/+bug/587140 should
>>> not be public. Please explain if I have misunderstood the rule.
>>> Thanks,
>>> Ivan.
>>>

>> You are correct. Thank you for raising this issue!
>>
>> I've marked this bug private myself already, but feel free to do it
>> yourself if you encounter such a bug again.
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
> Should Coredump.gz be removed? From what I see Stacktrace.txt looks good
> and all other attachments. How can I know when to remove Coredump.gz?
> Also who puts tag apport-failed-retrace?
> Maybe I sound a bit confused, that is because I am :-) Thanks for help.

You can see that the bug report still has got the need-retrace tag,
which means that the Apport retracer still needs to do things with the
Stacktrace and the Threadstacktrace. It needs the coredump for that to
work and until Apport has retraced the log files coredump should
remain attached. Apport removes the coredump by itself when it's done
retracing.

Before marking a bug as public I would also check other files, like
XsessionErrors.txt, to make sure there is no confidential information
in those attachments.

Regards,
--
Sense Hofstede