[Ubuntu Wiki] Update of "BugSquad/FAQ" by pvillavi

Ubuntu Wiki noreply at ubuntu.com
Mon May 24 20:11:37 BST 2010

Dear Wiki user,

You have subscribed to a wiki page or wiki category on "Ubuntu Wiki" for change notification.

The following page has been changed by pvillavi:
http://wiki.ubuntu.com/BugSquad/FAQ?action=diff&rev1=10&rev2=11

  ||<tablestyle="float:right; font-size: 0.9em; width:40%; background:#F1F1ED; margin: 0 0 1em 1em;" style="padding:0.5em;"><<TableOfContents>>||

- Welcome to the [[BugSquad/|BugSquad]] FAQ! The aim of this page is to provide an up-to-date list of common questions that we get about the [[BugSquad/|BugSquad]] project. We encourage you to update this document when something is missing so it becomes a core source of information for the project.
+ Welcome to the [[https://wiki.ubuntu.com/BugSquad|BugSquad]] FAQ! The aim of this page is to provide an up-to-date list of common questions that we get about the [[BugSquad/|BugSquad]] project. We encourage you to update this document when something is missing so it becomes a core source of information for the project.

  = General Questions =
+
+ == How do i start to Triage a bug ? ==
+
+ We recommend to every new triager to read our [[https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Bugs/HowToTriage|Triage Guide]] and to request a [[https://wiki.ubuntu.com/BugSquad/Mentors|Mentor]], if you have doubts regarding any part of the document please contact us.

  == Do I need to have reproduced or recreated a bug to confirm it? ==

  No, a bug can be confirmed when you believe the report describes a genuine bug in enough detail that a developer could start working on a fix.  However, you still should not confirm bugs which you have reported.  Be sure to look at [[DebuggingProcedures|Debugging Procedures]] to find out what is necessary for certain types of bugs.

+ == Which are the requirements to join the BugSquad team? ==
+
+ The requirements to join our team are:
+
+  * Sign the [[http://www.ubuntu.com/community/conduct|Code of Conduct]]
+  * Although not really required, read the [[https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Bugs/HowToTriage|How to Triage]] guide. It '''does''' help to read it.
+
+ More information at the [[https://wiki.ubuntu.com/BugSquad/GettingInvolved|GettingInvolved]] page.
+
+ == I'd like to organize a Bug Day ==
+
+ If you want to organize a Bug Day make sure to read the [[https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuBugDay/Organizing|Organizing a Bug Day page]] and contact us trough our [[http://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-bugsquad|Mailing list]]. We're always looking for new targets if you have one please consider on adding it to the [[https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuBugDay/Planning|Planning page]]
+
+ == Where can I contact the BugSquad ? ==
+
+ You can contact the BugSquad team using the following methods:
+
+  * Sending an email to our [[http://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-bugsquad|Mailing List]]
+  * Joining the #ubuntu-bugs channel at [[https://help.ubuntu.com/community/InternetRelayChat|IRC Freenode]]
+
  == What is the best way to find out the version of software someone is using? ==

  Let's consider Firefox on 8.04, Hardy, where it is possible to find out the version of the software in several different ways:
@@ -27, +51 @@

  To use the command '''dpkg-query''' open a terminal window (Applications -> Accesories -> Terminal) and type '''dpkg-query -W firefox'''. It will print one line of two words;  the package name and the version:  "firefox 3.0~b5+nobinonly-0ubuntu3".  It is the quickest way to find out the version of a package.

  To use '''Synaptic''' (a graphical package manager), go to System -> Administration -> Synaptic package manager.  A pop-up dialog is presented asking your password, after which the package manager appears.  In Synaptic's tool bar press the Search button and enter "firefox" (without the quotes).  After a few seconds Synaptic shows a list of packages containing that name; just scroll through it to find the firefox line. The second column in the list (labelled Installed Version) shows the package version you have installed but widen the column until you can be sure that all of the version is displayed.
+
+ == Found a bug which is not in English, what to do? ==
+
+ Bug reports should be in English as that is the most commonly used language by Ubuntu developers and bug triagers. In the event that a bug report is not received in English ask the reporter to translate their bug and any error messages that are not in English. In the event that you are concerned that the bug report is critical and needs to be translated quickly e-mail the Ubuntu translators [[https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-translators|mailing list]] for help in getting the bug translated. It's also a good idea to ask in the #ubuntu-bugs channel for translation or in the LoCo channels.
+
  ----
  CategoryBugSquad