Is BugControl dense?

C de-Avillez hggdh2 at ubuntu.com
Mon May 17 20:58:14 BST 2010

On Mon, 2010-05-17 at 21:03 +0200, Stefan Ivarsson wrote:
> Hi

Hi Stefan

> I have followed this list (ubuntu-bugscontrol) for about 3 months.
> This is my first insight into what is actually happening in this
> sub-culture.

I am unsure on how to respond here. I am tending to look at it as a
failure on our part -- it should have been easier for you to understand
what happens. For that, I am sorry. Could you please tell us what you
are missing/missed? How can we improve? Where did we fail?

> I have been working with IT/IS related questions for close to 15 years
> and have tried Linux for the last two. I thought that I was ready to
> start helping but after having read this I realize my skills are far
> below what is expected of the community.

I humbly beg to differ. If you have 15 years of IT/IS-related questions
and work, you most certainly have a wealth of experience that would help
us all. Now, Ubuntu is comprised of thousands of packages, and many
different expertise areas. I would not expect *anyone* to be an expert
on all packages and areas. For example, you may not be a programmer --
so you cannot (at least until you start programming) work on extremely
dense programming issues. But certainly there are at least one, probably
many, other area(s) you know, and can help. And, for that, we will be
extremely thankful, and we will appreciate your help.

None of us started on Ubuntu already knowing what to do. *ALL* of us are
still learning.

There is another important point here: the Ubuntu community is made of
people from all backgrounds, and with different skill sets. We
*complement* each other -- the sum is greater than the parts.

> I have read the triage guide. I have a launchpad ID. I have subscribed
> to the list .I have read, understood and signed the Ubuntu CoC.
> Unfortunately, I do not see how I can help and if anyone would
> appreciate it.

I am sorry if I sounded like I do not appreciate -- in this case --
Jeremy's work. I *do*. We -- the community -- do.

Jeremy -- I apologise if I sounded this way. Please rest assured this is
not the case.

I just used the opportunity to try and explain a bit more on the process
of getting into (or being approved as a member to) the BugController
team. This is why I cross-posted to the BugSquad. Perhaps I did it wrong
(or sounded wrong). I (again) apologise.

Without knowing more about your specific case, I cannot comment on how
you could help. But please rest assured that *any* help is welcome.

Best regards,

..C..

p.s. One point that was raised last week on the Ubuntu Development
Summit (UDS) is that we need to explain more, on the mailing lists, what
is going on, what we would like to do, and request more input. Your
email very much confirms we need this. Please keep on. We need you.