[Ubuntu Wiki] Update of "Bugs/Responses" by flimm

Ubuntu Wiki noreply at ubuntu.com
Fri Mar 12 20:45:01 GMT 2010

Dear Wiki user,

You have subscribed to a wiki page or wiki category on "Ubuntu Wiki" for change notification.

The following page has been changed by flimm:
http://wiki.ubuntu.com/Bugs/Responses?action=diff&rev1=286&rev2=287

The comment on the change is:
placeholder is clearer than variable

  ||<tablestyle="background-color: #eee"> We are closing this bug report because it lacks the information we need to investigate the problem, as described in the previous comments. Please reopen it if you can give us the missing information, and don't hesitate to submit bug reports in the future.  To reopen the bug report you can click on the current status, under the Status column, and change the Status back to "New".  Thanks again!||

  == Bugs without a package ==
- Sometimes bugs will be reported just using the "Ubuntu" package.  This is not the best place for the bug though and we should encourage bug reporters to report the bug against the correct package by pointing them at some documentation. Keep in mind PKGNAME is a variable.
+ Sometimes bugs will be reported just using the "Ubuntu" package.  This is not the best place for the bug though and we should encourage bug reporters to report the bug against the correct package by pointing them at some documentation. Keep in mind PKGNAME is a placeholder.

  ||<tablestyle="background-color: #eee"> Thank you for taking the time to report this bug and helping to make Ubuntu better. This bug did not have a package associated with it, which is important for ensuring that it gets looked at by the proper developers.  You can learn more about finding the right package at https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Bugs/FindRightPackage . I have classified this bug as a bug in PKGNAME.<<BR>>For future reference you might be interested to know that a lot of applications have bug reporting functionality built in to them.   This can be accessed via the Report a Problem option in the Help menu for the application with which you are having an issue.  You can learn more about this feature at https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ReportingBugs.||

@@ -151, +151 @@

  ||<tablestyle="background-color: #eee">Thank you for taking the time to report this bug and helping to make Ubuntu better. However, your crash report didn't yield the required information. Please go ahead and submit a new crash report if it crashes again with the latest available version of the package. Thanks in advance for your cooperation and understanding. ||

  == A duplicate ==
- When making a bug report a duplicate of another it is important to communicate to the reporter that any discussion regarding the bug should take place in the master bug.  Keep in mind that NUMBER is a variable and should be the number of the master bug report.
+ When making a bug report a duplicate of another it is important to communicate to the reporter that any discussion regarding the bug should take place in the master bug.  Keep in mind that NUMBER is a placeholder and should be the number of the master bug report.

  ||<tablestyle="background-color: #eee"> Thank you for taking the time to report this bug and helping to make Ubuntu better. This particular bug has already been reported and is a duplicate of bug NUMBER, so it is being marked as such. Please look at the other bug report to see if there is any missing information that you can provide, or to see if there is a workaround for the bug.  Additionally, any further discussion regarding the bug should occur in the other report.  Feel free to continue to report any other bugs you may find. ||

@@ -214, +214 @@

  Common Packages people are looking for are:
  Google Earth, Real Player, and Skype

- Here's a simple response for one of those packages (Note PKG is a variable):
+ Here's a simple response for one of those packages (Note PKG is a placeholder):

  ||<tablestyle="background-color: #eee">You can get deb packages compatible with Ubuntu for PKG from Medibuntu: <<BR>>https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Medibuntu <<BR>><<BR>>If you encounter any bugs with Medibuntu, report them here:<<BR>>https://launchpad.net/medibuntu/+filebug <<BR>><<BR>>If you have questions about Medibuntu, you can ask them here:<<BR>>https://answers.launchpad.net/medibuntu/||

@@ -291, +291 @@

  == Distro has reached EOL ==

- If the distro has reached EOL per https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Releases and there is not enough information to work on the bug, then you can set to '''Incomplete''' and use the following response (Note DISTRO and DATE are variables):
+ If the distro has reached EOL per https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Releases and there is not enough information to work on the bug, then you can set to '''Incomplete''' and use the following response (Note DISTRO and DATE are placeholders):

  ||<tablestyle="background-color: #eee">Thank you for reporting this bug to Ubuntu.  DISTRO reached EOL on DATE.<<BR>>Please see this document for currently supported Ubuntu releases:<<BR>>https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Releases <<BR>><<BR>>I've tried recreating this bug with DISTRO and was unable to given the information you've provided.  Please either a) upgrade and test or b) increase the verbosity of the steps to recreate it so we can try again.<<BR>><<BR>>Please feel free to report any other bugs you may find. ||