docs/clarification on confirming

Serge E. Hallyn serge.hallyn at canonical.com
Thu Jun 24 20:29:00 BST 2010

Quoting Brian Murray (brian at ubuntu.com):
> On Wed, Jun 23, 2010 at 09:07:56PM -0500, C de-Avillez wrote:
> > On Wed, 2010-06-23 at 21:47 -0400, David Tombs wrote:
> > > Hi Serge,
> > >
> > > I'm no expert, but I'd actually say dealing with patches upstream
> > > probably means the bug is no longer being /triaged/ but being fixed.
> > > Perhaps "In Progress" would be better for this situation? I'm not sure
> > > about the official answer.
> >
> > and the original Q from Serge:
> >
> > > I'm looking https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Bugs/HowToTriage while also
> > submitter,
> > >

> > Hi David, Serge,
> >
> > No, not in progress. In progress is used when  *we* are actively working
> > in a fix -- and, if upstream is the party responsible, *we* are not
> > working actively on the bug.
> >
> > In this case, the bug should have been upgraded to Triaged, and an
> > upstream task opened for it, but with *no* bug number (yet) at this
> > point in time. When the OP submits the patch upstream (which will most
> > probably be via a bug upstream), then we can add the bug number on the
> > bug's upstream task.
> >
> > Yes, this is a request for action to the submitter. This is, most
> > probably, because whoever was dealing with this bug did not have the
> > free time necessary to do the upstreaming themselves. Technically,
> > though, the bug is not incomplete, and should not be marked as such.

Thanks everyone for the input.  I really appreciate it.  Part of my
problem of course is that I'm trying to map these values to the bugzilla
equivalents, but 'Incomplete' does not quite map onto 'NeedInfo' like
part of me wants it to :)

> When discussing issues of this nature it is important to keep in mind
> the distinction between a bug and a bug task.  With an example like this
> the Ubuntu bug task should Triaged and the upstream task (when it is
> opened) set to In Progress.  Unless of course the upstream task is a bug
> watch for a bug report in another bug tracker in which case it's status
> will be set automatically.

The situation I'm referring to is where upstream requires email list
interaction, and we are asking the launchpad bug submitter to forward
the patch.  Do we then set it to 'Confirmed' until the submitter
forwards to the appropriate list, and then set it to 'Triaged'?  Or
still just set it to 'Triaged' immediately?

thanks,
-serge