docs/clarification on confirming

Vishnoo vish at ubuntu.com
Thu Jun 24 08:04:54 BST 2010

> On 06/23/2010 02:32 PM, Serge E. Hallyn wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I'm looking https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Bugs/HowToTriage while also
> > looking at some bugs.  The 'Confirming' section suggests that if
> > a submitter submits a patch, and we ask them to push the patch
> > upstream to a mailing list (per upstream policy), then these
> > should be marked confirmed.  But it looks like in practice it is
> > assumed that this represents a request for action on part of submitter,
> > and bugs are then placed in 'Incomplete' state.
> >
> > Is there a hard and fast rule about this?  Just wanna make sure
> > I'm doing the right thing :)
> >
> > thanks,
> > -serge

I'm /guessing/ you noticed the "incomplete" status on a desktop package?
This *was* usually the practice to mark bugs which have yet to be sent
upstream as "incomplete". [irrespective of patch]

However, it was discussed and considered as a confusing status, now the
recommended practice is to just leave the status as-is[or can be marked
confirmed] and to open an upstream task in launchpad[ and report it
upstream ;) ]

[Preferably when asking a question it would be easier if the bug link in
question was mentioned, would be easier to answer the question. Some
teams have their own workflows]

--
Cheers,
Vish