10.04 upgrade issue

Andy Curran adcurran at btinternet.com
Mon Feb 22 13:13:26 GMT 2010

A real 'newbie' here, please be gentle!!! I have tried to upgrade Ubuntu
from 9.10 to 10.04.  During the installation some error messages (which
I didn't write down) occurred but I just continued with the
installation.  The last error message said that it could not install
upgrades, and had aborted the installation!  It said a recovery would
run (dkpg --configure -a).  When restarted the grub menu, which now
includes 2.6.32.14, when relevant Linux option is selected displays
error message, "error: unknown command 'recordfail'. Press any key to
continue..."  Windows Vista and the Memory tests still work correctly
but none of the linux options work.
I tried to re-install using a live-cd session but this failed due to
insufficient drivespace.  I do not know how to get out of this hole,
please would someone help!!!
Many thanks

Andy C