Touchpad not recognized at all

Bea Jimenez bjimenez at gmail.com
Sun Feb 14 17:29:08 GMT 2010

Hi Bugsquad!!

I've recently moved from Windows to Ubuntu and found out my touchpad
won't be recognized. I've dumped the info you request at "Debugging
Procedures" under "Touchpad Detection" and send the files attached.
Funny thing is, the first command won't dump anything (acpi info) so
file "laptop" is empty.

Just for your information: my notebook is a Sharp Moebius PC-SV1-5CB.
Pretty old, but still in good shape. It has an integrated Synaptics
Touchpad, which I've read is not straightforward to use, but my
problem is it won't be recognized at all, so everything I've read
about using the synaptics driver for Xorg and so is useless before
detection.

The only thing that seems to be close to the touchpad detection is the
"Macintosh mouse button emulation", but it is a virtual device.

I am currently using Ubuntu with an USB external mouse, but I don't
like to do so. I am used to control the notebook with the touchpad,
and don't like an external mouse hanging around.

I hope you can help.

Thanks a lot
Bea