Proposed changes to the documentation for the empty bug watch policy discussed during the last meeting

Sense Hofstede qense at ubuntu.com
Fri Feb 12 19:26:51 GMT 2010

2010/2/11 Bruno Girin <brunogirin at gmail.com>:
> On Thu, 2010-02-11 at 20:39 +0100, Sense Hofstede wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> Attached you'll find a diff containing the proposed changes to
>> <https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Bugs/HowToTriage> to accommodate the policy
>> regarding adding empty upstream bug watches when marking a bug as
>> 'Confirmed'.
>
> A few comments on your update:
>      * You mention that a bug should be marked as "triaged" only after
>        it has been forwarded upstream if it needs to. This is at odds
>        with what's currently in the flowchats [1]. So we need to ensure
>        both are in sync. In practice, I think we need to be flexible
>        and allow bugs to be forwarded upstream either before or after
>        they've been marked "triaged". That way, BugSquad members who
>        are not part of BugControl but are happy to forward upstream can
>        do so before without having to wait for the bug to moved to
>        "triaged", while BugControl members can mark a bug triaged
>        without having to wait for it to be forwarded upstream. What we
>        could specify is that when a bug is changed to "triaged", the
>        BugControl member should also open an empty upstream task if it
>        needs to be forwarded upstream, in effect highlighting the fact
>        that the bug is triaged but that the next steps need to happen
>        upstream.
>      * s/aqcuinted/acquainted/
>      * You write: "If you find a bug that needs forwarding, it is best
>        to forward it immediately. However, if you are running short on
>        time, you can still mark the bug as needing to be forwarded." I
>        think we also need to take into account triagers who just don't
>        know how to forward upstream or are not comfortable doing so; so
>        I would suggest rewording to something like: "If you find a bug
>        that needs forwarding, it is best to forward it immediately.
>        However, if you can't or don't know how to do it, you can still
>        mark the bug as needing to be forwarded so that someone who is
>        well acquainted with the upstream bug tracker can do it."
>
> [1] https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Bugs/HowToTriage/Charts
>
> My £0.02
>
> Bruno

Fixed the spelling mistake! I also agree with your suggestion in the
last point and added it to the proposed version of the wiki page. I've
attached a freshly generated .diff file with these changes. Thank you!

However, if I'm correct, the 'Triaged' status is ought to used when
_all_ triaging is done. This of course includes forwarding upstream.
Only then should a bug be marked as 'Triaged'.
If that's the policy then the charts should be adapted instead. Can
anyone provide a definitive answer on this one?

Regards,
--
Sense Hofstede
[ˈsɛn.sə ˈɦɔf.steːdə]