Running Firefox in a Debugger

Draycen DeCator ddecator at gmail.com
Wed Apr 28 23:27:05 BST 2010

To use Firefox and gdb, run 'firefox -g' in a terminal.

You may want to try this with a new profile as well, just in case. You can
do so by running 'firefox -P' and creating a new profile (no need to delete
your default one). If the crash still happens, then please file the report.
If it stops, then the crash is likely due to a setting or extension.

If Firefox is crashing, then apport may be able to catch it and generate a
report. Apport has been turned off by default now, but you can activate it
if you edit /etc/default/apport so that enabled=1. Then, restart your
computer and reproduce the crash. If apport doesn't automatically tell you
it generated a crash report, then go to /var/crash and look for a .crash
report for Firefox. Double clicking that report will start apport which will
get all of the info needed to report the bug.

If you can't get a crash report, then the backtrace is a good start. Just
use 'ubuntu-bug firefox' and attach the backtrace when you're filing the
report.

Hope this helps!
Dray [ddecator]