Ubuntu-bugsquad Digest, Vol 46, Issue 14

Gianfranco Costamagna costamagnagianfranco at yahoo.it
Wed Apr 21 12:56:53 BST 2010

Thanks Bruno for your help.

I just created the page https://wiki.ubuntu.com/BugSquad/AdoptPackage/Amsn
and subscribed to the bugs...

Just a little question: when I confirm a bug, and I have a patch, con can I choose someone for working on it?
I think there are two scenarios:
1) I foward the bug upstream, but new versions of amsn are released not so much, and this patch will be on the ubuntu repository after a year...
2) I assign the bug to somebody or I call to a packager (a member of MOTU)

in the second option, who is this person?
(Maybe I'll join the motu team, but for now I prefer to work with someone)

thanks

Subject: Re:

To:
> ymailto="mailto:ubuntu-bugsquad at lists.ubuntu.com"
> href="mailto:ubuntu-bugsquad at lists.ubuntu.com">ubuntu-bugsquad at lists.ubuntu.com

Hi Gianfranco!

On Tue, 2010-04-20 at 10:19 +0000,
> Gianfranco Costamagna wrote:
> Hi to everybody. I read something about
> adopting a package cause I want to learn better how to triage bugs and help to
> make ubuntu better!
> BTW this link doesn't work
> href="https://wiki.ubuntu.com/BugSquad/AdoptPackage#Already_Adopted_Packages"
> target=_blank
> >https://wiki.ubuntu.com/BugSquad/AdoptPackage#Already_Adopted_Packages
>

> href="https://wiki.ubuntu.com/BugSquad/AdoptPackage#Packages_that_need_particular_care"
> target=_blank
> >https://wiki.ubuntu.com/BugSquad/AdoptPackage#Packages_that_need_particular_care
>
> (there's no anchor)

Thanks for your offer of help.

> So I read something about adopting a package and I didn't find a person
> who cares about amsn (or I didn't check in the rigght place?)
>

> I'm in the amsn-devel list (upstream) and I use this program since some
> years.
> I could build it and try if patches works...
>
> So,
> could anybody help me in adopting it or could anybody suggest me another package
> to adopt for learning?
> very thanks
>
> (I could also adopt
> boinc, since I'm a tester, but I think amsn is better because is more
> simple)

Indeed, it looks like amsn hasn't been adopted so yo are welcome
adopt it. As it's a package with a small number of bugs, it looks
> ideal
for a new triager, especially considering you know it well. In
> addition,
this means that you are the ideal person to forward bugs upstream,
> which
is great.

I would also suggest you request a BugSquad mentor[1]
> of whom you can
ask questions about triaging difficult bugs. And don't
> hesitate to drop
in the #ubuntu-bugs channel on IRC[2] if you have more
> questions.

[1]
> target=_blank >https://wiki.ubuntu.com/BugSquad/Mentors
[2]