filing bugs

Brian Murray brian at ubuntu.com
Mon Sep 21 05:26:55 BST 2009

On Sun, Sep 20, 2009 at 08:38:28PM +0100, Bruno Girin wrote:
> 2009/9/20 Caroline Ford <caroline.ford.work at googlemail.com>:
> >
> > Can we reverse this decision to make everyone use apport, at least until it
> > works?
> >

> Irrespective of whether apport works or not, I think we need to keep a
> way to report bugs manually through Launchpad. There are hundreds of
> reason why you could be in a situation where you just can't use
> apport. For example, if you are in a corporate environment on a
> machine that doesn't have access to the Internet, you may want to
> report the bug from another machine (which may not be running Ubuntu
> at all). Or it may be that a bug only occurs when you are disconnected
> from the net.
>
> 2009/9/20 Rafik Ouerchefani <rafik at ubuntu.com>:
> > You can add ?no-redirect to the link =>
> > https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+filebug?no-redirect
> > More info about the changes : http://fridge.ubuntu.com/node/1908
>
> Then there should probably be a paragraph about this on
> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/ReportingBugs so that people who
> have no other option than reporting manually can do so.

There is not a paragraph on that wiki page but rather a sentence that
indicates how one could use the no-redirect parameter.  I purposefully
did not put a direct link in there as I didn't want it spread around
a lot.

> A feature that could mitigate this would be if apport was able to
> export a crash report to a file and Launchpad was able to file a bug
> by uploading such a crash report. This way you could save the report
> on the machine that shows the bug and upload it later or from a
> different machine.

You can save bug reports for later use by using the command apport-cli.

"What would you like to do? Your options are:
  S: Send report (1.3 KiB)
  V: View report
  K: Keep report file for sending later or copying to somewhere else
  C: Cancel"

I'll be adding this to the ReportingBugs page this week.

--
Brian Murray                                                 @ubuntu.com