Empathy/Telepathy bugs process clarification.

Brian Curtis bcurtiswx at ubuntu.com
Fri Sep 25 18:16:24 BST 2009

David,

You have the right general idea for our triage process.

I have adopted the Empathy package as a Bug Control member, and I have
been trying my best to triage empathy bugs.  Unfortunately since it's
not a one man job, I have been slacking due to work related jobs
taking priority lately.

I'm not sure if there is a list of Bug Control members and which
packages they have adopted.  This may be of importance to show others
which packages need more people. (Brian Murray: good idea?).

My point would be that although we have a great triage process, there
aren't enough people yet to keep up the slack when others are short on
time here and there and if developers only got involved after the
triaged state, we may be in trouble at times.

To answer your two questions:
1) the desktop team recently has been tackling a ton of empathy bugs,
so although it may not appear on wikis that canonicals desktop team
recognizes empathy, I believe their efforts recently show otherwise.

2) the wikis always need fine tuning here and there and since empathy
is just now becoming default in ubuntu, the part of the wikis that
mention empathy are outdated.  Don't hesitate to fix them, as they can
be edited by anyone.
(Brian Murray: This may be something that needs to be focused on as
empathy finishes its transition to default)

Hope this helps!
~Brian Curtis
BCurtisWX (IRC Freenode/Launchpad)

On Fri, Sep 25, 2009 at 12:07 PM, David Laban <alsuren at gmail.com> wrote:
> A few of us at Collabora were trying to work out how bugs are supposed to get
> from launchpad to us. I think it's important that we get this right if empathy
> is going to suddenly gain thousands of extra users in karmic.
>

> I will try to outline the process as I understand it.
>
> 1) User finds a bug, and submits it to launchpad under the empathy product.
> Those of us in https://launchpad.net/~telepathy get notified (?) but aren't
> expected to do anything about it until it is triaged.
>
> 2) Someone else comes along and triages this bug, and reports it to (or finds
> it in) Empathy in the GNOME Bugzilla
> https://bugzilla.gnome.org/browse.cgi?product=empathy  or a specific connection
> manager in the FreeDesktop Bugzilla
> http://bugs.freedesktop.org/describecomponents.cgi?product=Telepathy . This is
> when the person who can actually fix the bug takes notice.
>
> 3) They then select the "also affects project" link, as described in
> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Bugs/Watches and enter the bug they just
> reported/found.
>
> 4) When a fix makes it into our git repo (using our review process) your system
> notices this, and someone from ubuntu will try to backport it if necessary.
>
> This seems fine, but I'm not very sure who that "Someone" in step 2 should be.
> I think that it should be Ubuntu-Bugsquad people, as that's the most efficient
> use of resources.
>
> When browsing around launchpad, a few things jump out at me:
>
> 1) https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Bugs/Upstream/GNOME points at
> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Bugs/Upstream/GNOME/UniverseList
> which contains Empathy, but it also points at
> https://bugs.edge.launchpad.net/~desktop-bugs/+packagebugs which doesn't. Does
> this mean that empathy is getting ignored by your desktop team? If so, does
> this need to be changed?
>
> 2) https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Bugs/Upstream/Freedesktop also lists Empathy. While
> empathy depends on telepathy, which is a freedesktop project, Empathy is now
> officially a GNOME project, which uses the GNOME Bugzilla. Should there be a
> note in here to clarify? (Feel free to use the contents of this email as the
> skeleton of a wiki page if that's the best way to do this.)
>
> David

--Wernher Von Braun
"The second law of thermodynamics: If you think things are in a mess
now, JUST WAIT!!"