Package to report against when reporting an install/upgrade failure

Brian Murray brian at ubuntu.com
Tue Nov 24 21:25:31 GMT 2009

On Mon, Nov 16, 2009 at 06:31:48PM +0000, Bruno Girin wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have been looking at a number of bugs that report a failure to install
> or upgrade packages over the past few days[1][2][3][4]. When triaging
> those, what package should I associate them with? The actual package
> that failed to install/upgrade, update-manager, dpkg or any other? I
> assumed update-manager for the one that failed during a Jaunty to Karmic
> upgrade[1]: is this correct?
>
> Thanks
>
> Bruno
>
> [1] https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/update-manager/+bug/482385
> [2] https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+bug/483489
> [3] https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+bug/483646
> [4] https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+bug/483648

These are apport-package tagged bug reports meaning that it was a
failure with the particular package and not update-manager.
Subsequently, it should be filed about the package listed with the
"SourcePackage" key in the bug's description.  For what it is worth I
have a script that I run occasionally that reviews no package bug
reports for apport-crash or apport-package bugs.

Additionally, the first bug mentioned in your list should be moved to
sqlalchemy.

--
Brian Murray                                                 @ubuntu.com