Bugs Reported Against a PPA

Brian Murray brian at ubuntu.com
Fri Mar 6 22:13:00 GMT 2009

On Fri, Mar 06, 2009 at 06:20:30AM -0700, Charlie Kravetz wrote:
> It has been brought up that we currently have no policy in place for
> bugs reported against a Personal Package Archive(PPA) in launchpad.
>
> The majority of bug reporters are attempting to help improve Ubuntu.
> Without the use of PPA, the distribution loses valuable testing and
> improvements. As a team, we do not have the resources to determine that
> the reporter was not sent to the PPA file to test an improvement. The
> PPA is not an authorized Ubuntu repository, however, no bug should be
> invalid simply because it was reported against a PPA. I have seen
> several developers on IRC and in launchpad request users test a package
> in their PPA. If that package works, it may go on to be placed in the
> distribution.

Stepping back a bit I decided to make a guess at how many of these there
actually are.  I used the new-bug-description script[1], part of the
ubuntu-qa tools, and looked for bugs containing either the string "~ppa"
or "ppa.launchpad.net".  I came up with about 30 bug reports for the
month of February and 6 so far for March.  Compared to the total volume
of bugs[2] for those months this is a drop in the bucket.

[1]
https://code.edge.launchpad.net/~ubuntu-bugcontrol/ubuntu-qa-tools/master
[2] http://www.murraytwins.com/blog/?p=38

--