Bugs Reported Against a PPA

hggdh hggdh2 at gmail.com
Fri Mar 6 14:14:47 GMT 2009

On Fri, 6 Mar 2009 06:20:30 -0700
Charlie Kravetz <cjk at teamcharliesangels.com> wrote:

> My opinion:
>
> Bugs against a PPA should not be invalid bugs.

Absolutely. They *are*, after all, bugs. They are just *not* bugs
against the official distribution. Yet.

> They should be clearly
> identified as part of bug triage as being against a PPA, and the PPA
> owner should have a chance to decide what to do with the bug. This
> could be easily accomplished by adding a PPA tag to the bugs, and/or
> add [PPA] to the summary.
>
> Perhaps a better procedure that tags would be to create a package for
> the PPA. As bug reporters will not normally have the knowledge to
> create that package, it will become the job of the triage team. That
> involves more work for a team with enough work already.

Probably the best would be to have Malone adapted to provide a new
origin field, or adapt the Project field to allow for assigning to PPAs.

> Myself, as QA leader for Xubuntu, have requested individuals to
> subscribe me to bugs they report when using Xfce 4.6 from a PPA.
> Hopefully, I will be able to upstream their bug to the developer
> before it becomes invalid by a well meaning bug triager.

I myself have used PPAs to test upstream fixes against Evolution. The
feedback from these tests helped upstream on fine-tuning the fixes,
with a clear gain to all.

Without doubts, +1 on this. Canonical/Ubuntu made a fantastic decision
on funding the builder machines; it just does not make sense to
have them available, and not provide the PPA packagers with a venue to
work on, and resolve, the eventual bugs against their packages.

But I really think the Malone folks should be involved here. I am also
unaware of an easy way to search on packages provided by PPAs.

Thank you for raising the issue, Charlie.

Cheers,

..hggdh..