Fix Release problem

Jonathan Marsden jmarsden at fastmail.fm
Fri Jun 19 22:54:25 BST 2009

xteejyx at googlemail.com wrote:

> It appears that bug #376145 is Fix Released, but users are still stating
> that this is a problem. I have checked that they are using the correct
> up-to-date version, which they are, but I'm stumped, have never
> encountered this before as a triager.

Maybe it is only fixed for some configurations, or only on some hardware
platforms?

(1) Can you personally confirm the original bug (using the unfixed
version) on your own hardware?

(2) Can you then install the supposedly-fixed version, and try to
replicate the bug once again?

If installing the updated version fixes the issue for you, then you just
verified that the fix in that version is at least a partial solution.

If it doesn't fix it for you, then we now have an example machine
exhibiting the (new/extended?) issue to work on, in the hands of an
experienced user who is familiar with troubleshooting (you!).  This is
very helpful -- you can go on to post new debug info, try the workaround
suggested by a commenter on that bug, etc. etc.

Jonathan