Transition-Regression Tag

Mike Rooney mrooney at gmail.com
Tue Jun 2 19:05:30 BST 2009

On Tue, Jun 2, 2009 at 10:41 AM, Brian Murray <brian at ubuntu.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 01, 2009 at 09:44:48PM -0400, Brian Curtis wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> Upon discussions with mrooney about potential regressions due to
>> programs (like empathy and banshee) being transitioned to default.
>> There is a new tag, which is also listed in
>> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Bugs/Tags called "transition-regression" that
>> is meant to mark bugs that may need to be addressed so users can make
>> an easy transition from one default to another.
>>
>> An example of such a bug is
>> https://bugs.edge.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/banshee/+bug/235529
>>
>> Discussion?
>
> It seems to me that this type of a bug, a functional regression caused
> by changing the default application from one to another, is actually a
> subset of the regression-potential tag.  Subsequently, I think tagging
> these as 'regression-potential' is the best idea but that a secondary
> tag, perhaps 'default-application', would be highly beneficial.  By
> having this secondary tag we could then separate the
> 'default-application' potential regressions from other potential
> regressions.

This definitely makes some sense. This is already an understand
mechanism and any of these bugs that are released could be
transitioned to regression-release just like the others. I'd like to
talk to some people on the desktop team about integration with their
QA process and how this can help them as well as the upstream
projects, tracking issues and their importance. It seems like a formal
process and tracking of these issues could really help polish such
transitions, by fixing the bugs (ideally upstream with their help) and
documenting the ones we can't. Do you know who is good to talk to
here, perhaps rickspencer3, pitti, or seb?

--
Michael Rooney
mrooney at ubuntu.com