Fw: Transition-Regression Tag

Charlie Kravetz cjk at teamcharliesangels.com
Tue Jun 2 14:15:00 BST 2009

Begin forwarded message:

Date: Mon, 1 Jun 2009 20:54:35 -0600
From: Charlie Kravetz <cjk at teamcharliesangels.com>
To: Brian Curtis <briancurtis.wx at gmail.com>
Subject: Re: Transition-Regression Tag

On Mon, 1 Jun 2009 22:10:10 -0400
Brian Curtis <briancurtis.wx at gmail.com> wrote:

> Charlie,
>
> Thanks for your reply.  I brought it up here for this reason.  I
> didn't get much reply in the IRC channel as to which wording would be
> best for this tag.
>
> The idea behind the tag was specifically one that marks bugs that
> mention possible problems users will have in their transition from
> rhythmbox to banshee.  For example, items that rhythmbox has that
> banshee doesn't that devs can work on putting into banshee if they
> decide they want it in there.
>
> As far as which wording for the tag would be best is really something
> I'm not great at deciding, and discussion on that is what I was trying
> to obtain through this e-mail.
>
> I hope this answers your question.
>
> ~Brian Curtis
>
> On Mon, Jun 1, 2009 at 10:00 PM, Charlie Kravetz
> <cjk at teamcharliesangels.com> wrote:
> > On Mon, 1 Jun 2009 21:44:48 -0400
> > Brian Curtis <briancurtis.wx at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> >> Hi all,
> >>
> >> Upon discussions with mrooney about potential regressions due to
> >> programs (like empathy and banshee) being transitioned to default.
> >> There is a new tag, which is also listed in
> >> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Bugs/Tags called "transition-regression"
> >> that is meant to mark bugs that may need to be addressed so users
> >> can make an easy transition from one default to another.
> >>
> >> An example of such a bug is
> >> https://bugs.edge.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/banshee/+bug/235529
> >>
> >> Discussion?
> >>
> >> ~Brian Curtis
> >>

> > Maybe it is me, but could you explain a little as to what this
> > actually means. I believe transition = "changing", and regression =
> > "worked before but is now broken". How does that apply to the
> > referenced bug, where it does not appear it ever worked?
> >

> > --
> > Charlie Kravetz
> > Linux Registered User Number 425914
> >  [http://counter.li.org/] Never let anyone steal your DREAM.
> >     [http://keepingdreams.com]
> >
> > --

I don't think regression is the correct word here. Regression, as I
stated, means "used to work". These bugs are more of the "needs to work
if possible" variety. I am not sure of the need for a tag here, but it
should be more along the lines of "transition-critical" or
"transition-serious"; to define the application itself may have a
serious bug that needs work before the transition. On the other hand,
once the application becomes part of the default apps, the developers
will be looking carefully at all the bugs. Maybe the only tag needed is
the application name itself, as "transition-critical", to allow them to
find the most critical bugs quickly. If the bug isn't really critical,
the tag becomes unneeded, since it won't be fixed anyway for a while.

--
Charlie Kravetz

Charlie Kravetz