Greasemonkey Stock Replies Update

Mike Rooney mrooney at gmail.com
Wed Feb 25 21:07:33 GMT 2009

On Wed, Feb 25, 2009 at 11:45 AM, Brian Murray <brian at ubuntu.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Feb 25, 2009 at 10:40:02AM -0800, Brian Murray wrote:
> > On Wed, Feb 25, 2009 at 10:17:50AM -0800, Mike Rooney wrote:

> that

> central

> Greasemonkey

> > > Thanks, this is an excellent usability improvement!
> >
> > Great, I'm glad to hear it!
> >
> > > Two questions:
> > >
> > >  - Is there any plan to consolidate a lot of the popular scripts (such
> as
> > > this, karma, button tags, patches) into an extension which could be
> > > installed via a package, and included in qa-tools or something? Having
> > > multiple computers, and fresh installs of release+1 alphas/betas and
> such,
> > > often means I forget to install these or have them out of sync with the
> > > latest in VC.
> >
> > I personally don't know anything about writing Firefox extensions so
> > don't have any plans to do it, additionally I believe a fair bit of work
> > is need to convert a greasemonkey script into an extension.  However,
> > maybe we could get them into the ubuntu-qa-tools package and have the
> > scripts installed somehow.

It is actually pretty trivial as I understand it:
http://lifehacker.com/software/greasemonkey/turn-your-greasemonkey-scripts-into-firefox-extensions-164741.php

And I think there are already ubuntu packages which install a firefox
extension, so it should be fairly straightforward. I can take a look at this
if you like and think it would be worthwhile, and level up my packaging
skills.

> > >  - It would be neat to have variables such as %n that would
> automatically
> > > change to the persons LP username, to create more personal messages so
> they
> > > don't seem so impersonal. I change all my messages to include the
> persons
> > > name but having this included could be cool as well. Does anyone else
> do
> > > this?
> >
> > I'd really like to rewrite the greasemonkey scripts to use the
> > javascript version of the Launchpad API but haven't made any headway
> > here.  If they were updated to use this API I imagine it'd be easier to
> > grab the reporter's name and have it inserted via a variable.
> >
> > > And, and a third question :) If I change a message, will it get
> overwritten
> > > on the next XML update?
> >
> > If you locally modify a standard reply that exists in the XML file and
> > then pull the standard replies it seems (I had to test it myself) that
> > your modification will get overwritten.  This might be the right thing
> > to do since if you are making changes to a standard reply it should
> > probably exist in the XML file - right?
>
> Oops, I take that back.  I now have a 2nd response with the same name,
> since I didn't change it, but with different content than the one in the
> XML file.  Clearly this is the part Kees worked on!

Okay, so that is nice and would allow people to customize them with more
personalization if desired, cool! Of course then you have to check to make
sure yours is up to date with the latest changes and merge.

--
Michael Rooney
mrooney at gmail.com