Greasemonkey Stock Replies Update

Brian Murray brian at ubuntu.com
Wed Feb 25 18:40:02 GMT 2009

On Wed, Feb 25, 2009 at 10:17:50AM -0800, Mike Rooney wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 24, 2009 at 2:27 PM, Brian Murray <brian at ubuntu.com> wrote:
>
> > I blogged[0] about this the other day but think it is useful enough that
> > an e-mail is in order too.
> >
> > Kees and I have updated the Launchpad Greasemonkey standard reply
> > script[1] so that common standard replies are pulled in from a central
> > location[2] on a regular basis.
> >
> > I've added the majority of the responses from the wiki[3], however if
> > your favorite one is missing file a bug about the Launchpad Greasemonkey
> > Scripts project[4] and I'll get it added.
> >
> > I hope this makes triaging bugs a bit easier!
> >

> Thanks, this is an excellent usability improvement!

Great, I'm glad to hear it!

> Two questions:
>
>  - Is there any plan to consolidate a lot of the popular scripts (such as
> this, karma, button tags, patches) into an extension which could be
> installed via a package, and included in qa-tools or something? Having
> multiple computers, and fresh installs of release+1 alphas/betas and such,
> often means I forget to install these or have them out of sync with the
> latest in VC.

I personally don't know anything about writing Firefox extensions so
don't have any plans to do it, additionally I believe a fair bit of work
is need to convert a greasemonkey script into an extension.  However,
maybe we could get them into the ubuntu-qa-tools package and have the
scripts installed somehow.

>  - It would be neat to have variables such as %n that would automatically
> change to the persons LP username, to create more personal messages so they
> don't seem so impersonal. I change all my messages to include the persons
> name but having this included could be cool as well. Does anyone else do
> this?

I'd really like to rewrite the greasemonkey scripts to use the
javascript version of the Launchpad API but haven't made any headway
here.  If they were updated to use this API I imagine it'd be easier to
grab the reporter's name and have it inserted via a variable.

> And, and a third question :) If I change a message, will it get overwritten
> on the next XML update?

If you locally modify a standard reply that exists in the XML file and
then pull the standard replies it seems (I had to test it myself) that
your modification will get overwritten.  This might be the right thing
to do since if you are making changes to a standard reply it should
probably exist in the XML file - right?

However, there should probably be a way to distinguish between the
replies that are from the XML file and those that are not.

--
Brian Murray                                                 @ubuntu.com