Adopting Nautilus

Sense Hofstede sense at qense.nl
Tue Dec 22 18:27:50 GMT 2009

2009/12/22 Marcos Vanetta <marcosvanetta at gmail.com>:
> Hi Qense,
> I'm going in! But I warn you, I'm really new in the world of bugs, I've been
> here for two weeks only! But I think this is gonna be huge!
> Also, my english is not perfect :D
> Where can I submit my name to the list?
> Regards
> malev
>
> 2009/12/22 Sense Hofstede <sense at qense.nl>
>>
>> Hello,
>>
>> Last UDS we discussed the idea of adopting a package. Some people
>> already were watching specific packages, but unfortunately the
>> Adopt-a-Package project seems a bit silent until now.
>> I had already adopted a few tiny packages, but I wanted to contribute
>> to the shape of a more important package. Therefore I added myself as
>> 'godfather' of Nautilus on the Bugs/AdoptPackage wiki page. I'm happy
>> to tell you that currently all bugs reported against Nautilus that
>> were marked as 'Confirmed' have now been processed, leaving no bugs in
>> that state. Now I can start on the bugs still marked as New.
>>
>> However, this it is a lot of work, not only to get in shape, but also
>> to keep in shape. I would like to ask this maillist if there are any
>> people interested in becoming a godfather or godmother of Nautilus as
>> well. Because we would be the first group adopting a package it will
>> probably be a valuable learning exercise. Our group could be the
>> pioneer, uncovering difficulties and showing the benefits of adopting
>> a package.
>>
>> What would you need to do? Well, that would be something we could
>> discuss. Not everyone can or wants to spend the same amount of time on
>> bug triaging, so we would have to take that into account. We could
>> assign one or more people to just forwarding bugs upstream -- others
>> would just have to open upstream tasks when they encounter bugs that
>> need forwarding upstream. A different group could focus on incoming
>> New bug reports, and so on. Of course you don't have to limit yourself
>> strictly to one task, or join the forwarders group if you forward a
>> bug upstream once.
>>
>> If you're interested, please reply.
>>
>> Regards,
>> --
>> Sense Hofstede
>> /ˈsen.sɜː ˈhɒf.steɪdɜː/
>>
>> PS: I realise I'm not the only one working on Nautilus bug reports
>> here. If you are doing that already as well, please consider formally
>> adopting the package as well and joining this coordination effort. In
>> a group we can work much more efficiently.
>>
>> --

> Ing. Marcos Vanetta
> http://blog.malev.com.ar
> twitter: @malev

Hello,

To both you and Yazen:
Thank you for your reply! I'm happy you are interested in helping with Nautilus.
However, there is not really a list, unless you mean the one at
<https://wiki.ubuntu.com/BugSquad/AdoptPackage>. Actually that really
is a list, but so far the Adopt-a-Package project is not launched, so
it is more for letting others know who is working on what package. (Am
I correct?)

Since you both said that you were not very experienced in bug triaging
I think it would be best if you would particularly focus on New bug
reports. [1] You don't have to wait until some official start since
there won't really be an official start and nothing should stop
someone from triaging a bug. ;)

[1] https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/nautilus/+bugs?search=Search&field.status=New

Regards,
--