Translation help

Brian Murray brian at ubuntu.com
Wed Dec 2 18:58:51 GMT 2009

On Wed, Dec 02, 2009 at 10:09:24AM +0100, David Planella wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> El dt 01 de 12 de 2009 a les 12:22 -0800, en/na Brian Murray va
> escriure:
> > Occasionally, we receive bugs reported about Ubuntu in a foreign
> > language and while I don't want to encourage this widely I also feel
> > like we should attempt to help the reporter.  Additionally, there are
> > frequently log files, like in apport-package bug reports, that are in a
> > foreign language.
> >

> Regarding the log files, if they come from apport, I agree with Arne in
> the sense that ideally apport should generate them in the English (C)
> locale.

This does in fact happen.

> But if I understand it correctly, that's also about logs generated by
> the applications themselves prior to the bug report, so that might not
> be that simple and they might need to be translated once they are
> included in the bug report anyway.

Yes, that is correct, for example consider
http://launchpad.net/bugs/491387 where the DpkgTerminalLog.txt is not in
English.

> > While we could ask the reporter to translate both of these themselves I
> > wonder if there is some way Ubuntu translators can help us out?  If so
> > how can we get assistance with these bug reports?
> >
> > Thanks,
>
> If there is not a massive amount of such bugs, you could also forward
> them to the ubuntu-translators list, where you'd surely find someone
> speaking the language and willing to help either translating the bug or
> directly assisting the reporter. This has been done occasionally for
> Answers request in the past and IIRC worked quite well. Alternatively,
> you could even open a bug task against the ubuntu-translations project,
> and those subscribed to bugmail would forward it to the list. That said
> though, I think directly forwarding the bugs to the list might be a
> better approach.

Hmm, this seems a bit unwieldy to me - I was hoping for a solution with
in Launchpad.  Using my example from above presumably the translations
for the messages in DpkgTerminaLog exist in Launchpad.  Is there some
way to search for them and find out the English equivalent?

Thanks,
--
Brian Murray                                                 @ubuntu.com