Bug Triaging

Brian Murray brian at ubuntu.com
Thu Sep 25 22:31:19 BST 2008

I've recently noticed a lot of activity from new bug triagers and this
is fantastic!  Every little bit that we do to improve the quality of
bug reports is a tremendous help to Ubuntu, its users and its
developers.  So, thank you all for your assistance.

Bug triaging can be a very complicated process and occasionally mistakes
are made.  Over my time working on Ubuntu I'm certain I've made a few.
More of these have been brought to my attention in the past couple of
days and as a result, I'd like to share what I personally strive to do
when working on bug reports:

1) Understand the bug report with which I'm working
2) If I don't have an understanding of the issue ask for help[0][1]
3) Document the reason behind a bug's modification
4) Close bugs only when I'm certain they are Fixed or Invalid

I think if we all do our best to follow these it will help to improve
the quality of bug reports, Ubuntu and open source software in general.

[0] Help is almost always available in the #ubuntu-bugs IRC channel
[1] https://wiki.ubuntu.com/BugSquad/Contacts

--
Brian Murray                                                 @ubuntu.com