boilerplate messages in bugs

Karl Goetz karl at kgoetz.id.au
Wed Sep 10 09:11:37 BST 2008

hi bug people,
I'm writing [1] about an experiance I've just had with a 'boilerplate
paster' and a number of bug reports i was subscribed too. ( [2,3,4,5],
all are filed againt the kernel package. )
These all had the same message pasted into them [6], which on the
surface is fair enough, but the bit that made this seem somewhat
wasteful and gratuitious, was bug 218616 :
 This bug refers to a source file, the paste told me to download and
test the latest intrepid kernel kernel.

This isnt the first time i've seen bugs with boilerplate messages pasted
into them (i dont have any handy though sorry).
I'm wondering if theres something that can be done to reduce the amount
of 'senseless' pasting of boilerplates - where its relevent (eg, does
this modem work?) i think its acceptable.
Where following the advice will make it harder to find out (bcause the
compiled source doesnt display the copyright notice), its counter
productive.

kk.

[1] Was advised on IRC to post to this list about it.
[2] https://launchpad.net/bugs/223175
[3] https://launchpad.net/bugs/218616
[4] https://launchpad.net/bugs/76347
[5] https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/100031
[6]
The Ubuntu Kernel Team is planning to move to the 2.6.27 kernel for the
upcoming Intrepid Ibex 8.10 release. As a result, the kernel team would
appreciate it if you could please test this newer 2.6.27 Ubuntu kernel.
There are one of two ways you should be able to test:

1) If you are comfortable installing packages on your own, the
linux-image-2.6.27-* package is currently available for you to install
and test.

--or--

2) The upcoming Alpha5 for Intrepid Ibex 8.10 will contain this newer
2.6.27 Ubuntu kernel. Alpha5 is set to be released Thursday Sept 4.
Please watch http://www.ubuntu.com/testing for Alpha5 to be announced.
You should then be able to test via a LiveCD.

Please let us know immediately if this newer 2.6.27 kernel resolves the
bug reported here or if the issue remains. More importantly, please open
a new bug report for each new bug/regression introduced by the 2.6.27
kernel and tag the bug report with 'linux-2.6.27'. Also, please
specifically note if the issue does or does not appear in the 2.6.26
kernel. Thanks again, we really appreicate your help and feedback.

--
Karl Goetz <karl at kgoetz.id.au>