Question about triaging bug 153801

Chris Coulson chrisccoulson at googlemail.com
Mon Sep 8 20:39:58 BST 2008

On Mon, 2008-09-08 at 21:22 +0200, Thomas Novin wrote:

> Hello!
>
> Bug 153801[1] isn't set to any package. I would like to change it to
> tvtime and mark it as confirmed but I'm unsure if that's correct.
> Stéphane Loeuillet is claiming on 2007-10-31 that it isn't tvtimes fault
> but I disagree.
>
> 1. https://launchpad.net/bugs/153801
>
> Rgds
>

> --
> Thomas Novin <thnomas at xyz.pp.se>
> GPG key: http://xyz.pp.se/~thnov/gpg.asc

That's debatable really. It isn't the fault of tvtime that /dev/video0
doesn't exist, but you could say that the default device for tvtime
should be changed from /dev/video0 if we know that the device never
exists.

(I don't know anything about tvtime so please forgive me if I'm talking
rubbish!)

After looking at Ubuntu's udev rules, it does seem that DVB devices are
given device nodes under /dev/dvb/adapter?/? (it's defined
in /etc/udev/rules.d/20-names.rules in this section):

# Video devices, group dvb devices under /dev/dvb
SUBSYSTEM!="dvb", GOTO="dvb_end"
IMPORT{program}="dvb_device_name --export %k"
ENV{DVB_ADAPTER}=="?*", ENV{DVB_DEV}=="?*", \
	NAME="dvb/adapter$env{DVB_ADAPTER}/$env{DVB_NAME}"
LABEL="dvb_end"

So maybe it should be a tvtime bug to change the default? The problem
would be defining the default though. Maybe someone with more knowledge
of this application could comment.

I'd also suggest popping in to #ubuntu-bugs on irc.freenode.net as you
might get a quicker response.

Thanks
Chris Coulson