Virtual Box Wont Start

Daniel Hahler ubuntu+lists at thequod.de
Mon Oct 27 17:14:40 GMT 2008

Alan Pope wrote:

>> VirtualBox kernel driver not installed. The vboxdrv kernel module was
>> either not loaded or /dev/vboxdrv was not created for some reason.
>> Re-setup the kernel module by executing '/etc/init.d/vboxdrv setup' as root.
>> VBox status code: -1908 (VERR_VM_DRIVER_NOT_INSTALLED).
>>

> Do what it says..
>
> Applications -> Accessories -> Terminal
> sudo /etc/init.d/vboxdrv setup
>
> Job done.

Well, the "setup" action is not supported by Ubuntu's vboxdrv init script.
IIRC it was me who has removed it, when merging the upstream init
script, since it's not meant to be used in Ubuntu (with
virtualbox-ose-modules before and DKMS now).

It seems like sirjep is missing the virtualbox-ose-source package, which
contains the DKMS parts, which setup the modules for a new
kernel/package version.
It is a recommends only, so you can easily miss it when installing with
apt-get.

Cheers,
Daniel

--