Proposed changes to workflow bug management

Jordan Mantha mantha at ubuntu.com
Wed May 28 01:22:46 BST 2008

On Tue, May 27, 2008 at 4:33 PM, Mike Rooney <mrooney at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, May 27, 2008 at 1:27 PM, Ben Collins <ben.collins at canonical.com>
> wrote:

> pipe.

> >> Obvious way: don't assign, but subscribe the team that is going to
> >> handle the bug.
> >>
> >> The advantages:
> >>  - it does not give users the false impression someone would actually
> >>    work on that bug
> >
> > I don't see how users get that impression. In-Progress is what is meant
> > to show that a bug is being worked on. Assignment just shows who is
> > ultimately responsible for the next stage of the workflow. Once it is
> > triaged, in the case I outlined, then a team is responsible for the next
> > step (not a single person). That next step is deciding whether it should
> > be fixed or not, and then having a person work on it.
> >

> This makes perfect sense to me. If a bug isn't "In Progress", I
> shouldn't assume it is in progress (ie being worked on actively by
> that team)! This way assigning to teams doesn't lose any information,
> and I do agree bugs should be assignable to teams.

That depends on what you mean by "actively being worked on". I would
consider triage and many other statuses besides "In Progress" as being
"work".  The impression I get is that indeed people view assignment as
"somebody's actively working on this". So if you assign a team that's not
more likely to work on the bug than if they weren't assigned, I can see the
false impression Reinhard talked about. For instance, assigning the MOTU
team to all Universe bugs is pointless and in fact quite irritating and
counterproductive.

-Jordan