Incomplete with no response >30 days

sense at qense.nl sense at qense.nl
Tue May 27 17:41:23 BST 2008

Quoting Wolfger <wolfger at gmail.com>:

> On Tue, May 27, 2008 at 10:33 AM, Reinhard Tartler
> <siretart at ubuntu.com> wrote:
>>
>> Wolfger <wolfger at gmail.com> writes:
>>
>>> a) I didn't know (and still really don't, aside from bdmurray's
>>> greasemonkey script) how to tell a workflow bug from a regular bug
>>
>> Waaait a minute. I now assume that you are talking about
>> http://launchpad.net/bugs/154730? How much more clear can the
>> title "Please remove secvpn source and binary from Hardy" with the
>> team "Ubuntu Package Administrators" subscribed and a valid and
>> understandable rationale in the bug description be?
>
> LOL. To me, it could be much clearer. I think the fact that it seems
> obvious to you and nearly invisible to me highlights the issue.
> 1) the title of the bug doesn't really say anything to me. Maybe
> that's a clue I should leave it alone, but I've seen (and successfully
> dealt with) many bugs which had titles that made no sense. I was going
> on the content... one single comment which went nearly half a year
> with no response or other indication that the bug was being worked on.
> 2) When I go to that link, I don't see who the subscribers are. That
> field is collapsed. I don't normally go looking at who is subscribed
> to a bug when I triage it. Even if the list of subscribers was
> visible, I never considered that to be pertinent information before.
> If it's unassigned, I tend to assume it's not being worked on.
> Obviously our perspectives are quite different, and I see now that I
> was in the wrong, but it astounds me that anybody thinks this is
> obvious.
>
>> Perhaps it makes sense to collect issues like that in malone? It is very
>> hard to follow arguments on mailing lists like this.
>
> I don't even know what "malone" is. Please educate me.
>
>>> So really it all boils down to the need for better documentation of
>>> procedure, better adherence to procedure, and possibly a need for
>>> better procedures.
>>
>> I'd like to add announcments and announcements of changes to those
>> procedures to that list.
>
> Sure. Communication is vital. Especially when it concerns new or
> changed procedures.
>

> --
> Wolfger
> http://wolfger.wordpress.com/
>
> My 5 today: #90080 (macchanger), #150557 (linux-source-2.6.20), #75818
> (linux-source-2.6.15), #68329 (pbuilder), #185480 (octave3.0)
> Do 5 a day - every day! https://wiki.ubuntu.com/5-A-Day

That's what we were trying to say all the time! But I felt that a lot
of developers didn't want to listen somehow. If you just say in
capitals at the beginning of each workflow report: "WORKFLOW BUG" I
think we won't touch it. Maybe you should add the the bugsuad
shouldn't touch it, I don't know. But it's much easier that hiding
certain bugs, which makes the project less transparant and thus harder
to understand for newcomers. We proposed something simple like this
several times, but it seemed like no one did do anything with it.
What do you have against this idea? Why is it so bad? Isn't it that
simple things are often the best solutions?

Sense

PS: Malone is the bug tracker in Launchpad.