Incomplete with no response >30 days

Sense Hofstede sense at qense.nl
Mon May 5 09:56:00 BST 2008

Johnathon Tinsley schreef:
> ----- "Sarah Hobbs" <hobbsee at ubuntu.com> wrote:
>
>> Hey there!
>>
>> I second what ScottK has said here:  for anything with ubuntu-release,
>>
>> ubuntu-archive, ubuntu-{universe,main}-sponsors, or motu-release
>> subscribed, please leave those bugs alone.
>>
>> They're not filed by users only, and developers have almost always
>> looked at the bugs, if not filed them themselves.  They have a special
>> sequence of steps to be followed, and the bug squad interfering with
>> them is not helpful.
>
> If you really want triagers to leave your bugs alone, you need to have a tag, or something. I can't see from that bug that it is anything to do with devs, its _not obvious_. The bug state was Incomplete, with no assignee, which means to us that its still in a triage state.
>
>> <snip>
>>
>> The bug squad's aim is to make users bugs better, before a developer
>> looks at them (last i knew) - it is *not* to fiddle with developer
>> bugs.
>>   If you're unsure if the person is a developer, check the teams that
>> they're in (ubuntu-dev means they have upload rights to at least part
>> of Ubuntu)
>
> I'm not going to look at the profile page of every reporter whose bug I triage to check if they're a dev, that would be a waste of time; more often than not they're an almost blank page, with just the reporters email address there.
>
> I've seen and will ignore Sync & Merge bugs, but only because I was told off for touching one before (should probably be documented somewhere).
>
> Again, it is NOT obvious from the bug report that that bug was a developer bug. You should tag it or change its status OUT of incomplete or new. As a rule, an "incomplete" or "new" bug is triager territory. Confirmed, In Progress and Triaged are all devs territory.
>
> Yes, our purpose is to gather information for devs, but how can we quickly see if a dev is working on a bug if its not in a working status, or assigned to a team or person, or tagged?
>
>> <snip>
>>

> Kind Regards,
>
> Johnathon

I second the reply of Johnathon. It's sometimes very hard to determine
if a bug is a 'developer bug'. And if we're going to leave all bugs
reported by developers alone, you'll have to triage real bugs reported
by you on your own. I think it would be better if you'd choose another
status or use at least a tag.
The sequence of steps is a bit weird if it includes bugs to be set on
Incomplete instead of In Progress when someone's working on it, or has
it at his/her ToDo list. Choosing another status would really help us,
because they won't show up in our search results, and those are already
huge.

- --
Sense Hofstede
<http://www.qense.nl/>