How to handle non-free bugs?

Reinhard Tartler siretart at ubuntu.com
Wed Jun 18 13:34:27 BST 2008

Craig Maloney <craig at decafbad.net> writes:

> Hello,
>
> A bug report came in about gnuplot that I'm a bit unsure how to
> escalate. The bug is that gnuplot is regarded as free software, when the
> license is anything but. Here's a link to the bug:
>
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/gnuplot/+bug/195111
>
> Is there a standard tagging or escalation path for bugs like these? I
> found a similar discussion about non-free Firefox add-ons, but didn't
> get a clear direction from the comments.

With my ubuntu developer hat on, I think the bug was handled exactly
right. Severity critical is justified by the fact that the package might
not be redistributable and might need to be removed quickly by the
archive admins. Having said this, these bugs should be escalated to the
Archive Administrators that have the last say on the cause.

In complicated cases it can be useful for notifying ubuntu-motu at l.u.c
and/or ubuntu-devel at l.u.c in order to get further input.

--
Gruesse/greetings,