Proposed changes to workflow bug management

Christian Robottom Reis kiko at canonical.com
Mon Jun 2 16:17:19 BST 2008

On Mon, Jun 02, 2008 at 08:53:35AM -0400, Ben Collins wrote:
> I don't see that as being true. First off, it's not assigned to the team
> until it is triaged and secondly, before it is triaged, it can be
> assigned to the triager.

Well... assignment, in Launchpad, means "the person who is responsible
for fixing this bug". While today the UI may make that not such a hard
constraint, it's likely to evolve in this direction over the future,
which is why I'm saying it's ideal if we align our visions.

> Also, when it is assigned to a team, the entire team is responsible for
> bringing it to the next step, and contacting the team is as easy as
> contacting a single person (thanks to launchpad :).

Not really. You can't, for instance, email the team (unless it has a
contact email address, which is a bit of a corner case).

> Having a list of bugs to work from is the loose sense of the reason it
> is being used. The real use is to be able to separate responsibilities
> within a single package.

Hmmm. What's the practical difference between the two things, apart from
email notifications?

> I believe I've stated to the LP team once or twice in the past, that
> being able to control the tags associated to a particular package would
> make this easy to do without assigning to a team (would also make tags
> much more useful), but something with more visibility would be best.

What do you mean by "more visibility"? I think we're getting somewhere,
but not sure where yet! :-)
--
Christian Robottom Reis | http://async.com.br/~kiko/ | [+55 16] 3376 0125