Files Needed When Posting Install Problems

Brian Murray brian at ubuntu.com
Wed Jul 2 20:46:00 BST 2008

On Wed, Jul 02, 2008 at 09:11:55PM +0200, Emilio Pozuelo Monfort wrote:
> CHAS M NORTON wrote:
> > Wednesday July 2, 2008
> >
> > Where is the location of the files recommended to be uploaded by people reporting install bugs? I don't want to tell someone in another form to just paste a bug in Launchpad without at least putting the installation files there.
> >

> I think /var/log/dpkg.log is what you want.

It depends on whether or not you are performing a GUI installation via
ubiquity or a text installation via debian-installer.  If you are using
ubiquity then the wiki page regarding debugging ubiquity[0] contains
information about the log files that should be included.  They are
'/var/log/syslog' and '/var/log/partman'.  Incidentally, the debugging
ubiquity page is part of the debugging series[1] which contains valuable
information on reporting bugs for a wide variety of packages.

[0] https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DebuggingUbiquity
[1] https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DebuggingProcedures

--
Brian Murray                                                 @ubuntu.com