Closing a bug

Brian Murray brian at ubuntu.com
Thu Apr 17 03:57:22 BST 2008

On Wed, Apr 16, 2008 at 09:07:11PM -0400, Ace Suares wrote:

> Hiya
>
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/openoffice/+bug/70981
>
> How to deal with this:
>
> 1. it's still a bug in feisty,.
> 2. it's not a bug in gutsy
> 3. somehow the 'affects' lists 4 items; two of them is fix release, one
> confirmed, one invalid.

In this particular bug we are being shown how it affects multiple
different packages and projects.  We have the following:

KDE PIM
 - an upstream project
OpenOffice
 - another upstream project
kdelibs (Ubuntu)
 - an Ubuntu package
openoffice.org (Ubuntu)
 - an Ubuntu package

> What to do to close the bug !?

The bug is "closed", or in an end state, for almost every thing it
affects.  The only remaining open affects is the upstream OpenOffice bug
and if the bug really isn't an OpenOffice bug it'd be best if we were to
get that upstream bug closed too.

This is a really neat question as it illustrates how a bug can affect
many different things which isn't the case with every bug.  I hope my
answer helps explain things.

Thanks,
--
Brian Murray                                                 @ubuntu.com