Bugs with patches attached

Andrew a.starr.b at gmail.com
Fri Apr 11 00:09:32 BST 2008

While the wiki has some short comings, it does have a pretty good
description of how to create a debdiff:

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/PackagingGuide/Recipes/Debdiff

Another important one to read if you want to delve into this is:

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/PackagingGuide/PatchSystems

At least half of the uploads that I've got in to Hardy were from
creating debdiffs of patches sitting on LP.  Many of them had been
there for quite awhile. Daniel's Really-Fix-It (
http://daniel.holba.ch/really-fix-it/ ) has helped a lot with this
issue.

Over on the MOTU list, they've been talking about having
Bug-squad-like Hug Days to deal specifically with bugs with patches
attached.

The one thing that has kept me back from doing more of this is that
often I come across patches for programs that I have never used. I'm
not much of a programmer, so I'm often weary of touching packages that
I don't know too much about.

If you have a patch that will fix a bug please upload it. If you have
no intention of turning it into a debdiff, just say so. There are
folks out there that are willing to do it for you. I think the real
issue is making sure those people can find what needs their attention.