Bug Tagging

Brian Murray brian at ubuntu.com
Thu May 24 05:15:04 BST 2007

I've recently started using some new bug tags[1] as an alternative way
to identify and find bugs.  For example, I created a 'metabug' tag for
bugs that have a high likely-hood of duplication.  An example of a
metabug is 53923 "tifm: Texas Instruments Card reader not working" where
some specific Ti Multimedia Cards aren't reading cards.  This bug is
currently in progress but we do have 20 duplicates of it, and more could
come in as the hardware is prevalent.  The idea of a 'metabug' tag
appeals to my workflow as I look a lot of different packages and this
becomes an easy reference sheet for common bugs.  It could also be useful
for new triagers and those coming back from a break.  Please have a look
at the list of current 'metabugs'[2] and tag more if you see them.

In an effort to make openoffice.org bugs make them more approachable,
I have started use tags such as 'ooo-calc' to identify which specific
application the bug appears in.  Finally, there is the 'commercial' tag
to identify bugs in packages like Opera that don't yet exist in
Launchpad.  As I understand it these packages may appear in Launchpad so
I'd like us to be able to find those bugs again and assign them to the
right package.

Please take a moment to look at the list of tags currently in use, add
any tags you think would be useful, and subscribe to the wiki page.

[1] https://wiki.ubuntu.com/BugSquad/Tags
[2] https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+bugs?field.tag=metabug

Thanks,
--